Welcome to our journey

We are so excited to share our lives with all of you, as we expect the arrival of our miracle twins, due to be delivered on April 7, 2012.
We have waited for this time for many years and, although we are anxious and nervous, we are thrilled to welcome two new members to our family.
As we continue this journey, we invite our families and friends to follow along our adventures.



Sunday, January 15, 2012

Baby registry....what a nightmare!

Who would have known the amount of anxiety the thought of creating a baby registry could possibly create?! First of all, baby registries and baby showers are NOT common at all in Germany. In fact, any kind of shower, i.e. bridal or baby, is not really common. I successfully avoided a bridal registry because I really wasn’t comfortable with it and because I felt Ben and I already had a lot of the things that people typically ask for on a registry.
This whole baby thing is different. I realize that people want to have a shower and that people want to help us get ready for these babies. And that’s a good thing because I really had NO idea whatsoever of the many things that one supposedly needs to get ready for a baby. Double all of that for us and you’re looking at having to build an extension to this tiny house! That being said, I was willing to give it a shot.
I initially started a registry through Target’s website. Not a good idea. It was hard to see the different things, half of the stuff needed to be ordered online, and I was pretty much just randomly picking things. A couple of friends recommended books, but even that seemed overwhelming. I mean really, is it necessary to read a book to know what to get?! Apparently so and, in retrospect, maybe that would have relieved some of the anxiety.
My second step was for Ben and us to go to Babies R Us. I have to admit that I kind of expected a personal assistant who would literally walk us around and tell us exactly what might be worthwhile registering for. Little did I know, however. A customer service clerk took down some of our information and then handed us a little booklet which had all the essentials (and then some, I imagine!) listed. It was all organized by the store’s layout. That made the experience a bit more managable…..however, how in the word does one decide which bottles, nipples, blankets, onesies, etc. to get?! I was so overwhelmed and frustrated that we probably made some rather quick choices before dashing out of the store. Ben, on the other hand, really enjoyed using the little scanner to scan in all the different items. We ended up asking random people in the store for their advice (best strategy ever!) and went with some of their suggestions. Regardless, after leaving I was ready to write off the whole registry thing!
A few days later, after I had recovered from the initial shock, I took the Babies R Us list, highlighted all the things that we still needed and hadn’t registered yet or previously purchased, and off we went to a local Target store. No talking here, the lady handed the scanner over, and we were on our own. We tried to find most of the other items that were on the huge Babies R Us list and Ben once again eagerly used the little scanner. A couple of hours later we were DONE!
Since then, I have not spent a second revisiting the registries or doing anything with it whatsoever. We were told to pretty much throw everything on the registry so that, if nothing else, we could get the 10% off for anything left on the lists after baby showers and births. I am still not completely comfortable with the thought of a baby shower, but have come to accept that people really do want to help as well as have come to realize that we really do need the help.
In a future life, I might consider actually reading a book prior to registering or maybe taking an experienced mommy-friend along….for now, however, I am so relieved that this step in the process is done and over with and happy to announce that we are indeed registered at Target and Babies R Us!

8 comments:

  1. For the Record, I told her to start at Babies R Us, and go from there. And if she did not like that, then to ask one of her friends who has had twins. But what do I know? I am just her husband. It was quite the ordeal... But it was fun doing it with her anyway. Just my thoughts as the husband/father.
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me that people will see something they used while bringing up their children that you may have missed and send it anyway. And personalized stuff after, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be overwhelming...and everyone has an opinion...and the second post is right...everyone who has raised children already has their favorite thing they could not do without...and will hopefully impart that item and its usefulness with you! As you learn about everything you will make your own judgements too...some things will work good for you and others may not...just breath...those babies will feel your stress and not like you very much for it...relax as you will only be able to go day by day...and even then they seem to go so quickly...God has faith in you as he has blessed you with twins!! Now you must have faith in him..for he never gives you what you cannot handle!! Love you all!! Aunt Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Registry is fine, but don't forget to get diapers for the babies and a bottle of wine for the mama and daddy. I know you will do just fine and all will work out. Look how many kids were raised in our little house. Always room for more, too. As we are all too far away to come to a shower, we need to do the online thingy for a gift, but Grandpa and I have a little different strategy, and it just needs a $. 45 stamp. Love ya lots, Grandma Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog, I love it! Wanted you to know were thinking of you, y'all will be great parents. Love the twins names:) congratulations again, after reading your journey to become parents I'm even more amazed with you. Can't wait to read more updates
    Dotty (Facebook, zachs mom )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katja, If I can add anything here, just go for the essentials and don't spend a lot on each child. They are going to grow very quickly. You two will do great. If you can be a vice principle, you will do great. You know where to find me if you need anything.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy you all have finished this task. I can't wait to go shopping for the babies. Deitra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby showers are easy,,, Hold babies by heels and dip in warm water for a couple dunks, Then drip dry so they dont shrink.
      Grampa Eckert

      Delete